Monday, December 27, 2010

Entry 10: discuss your first love and your first kiss

Both, same girl, early. I knew Khalani forever. We were very young, and very close, and then she moved away. When her mother brought her to visit (which only happened once a year or so) we would spend the time together blissfully ignorant of ourselves. My first non-family kiss happened with her - we were probably 5 or 6, maybe. Not sure. I just remember being young and it was summer and it was somehow right. I'm not convinced that kind of childish exploration is damaging - provided both children are willing participants and there is no stigmatized trauma associated with it (which can be caused by parents overreacting to the situation; thanks to Marge Piercy for that viewpoint).

My first 'girlfriend' was Shannon, and we had the same birthday. I was something like 14 hours older than her. We were in 5th grade and that's where we both learned to kiss - not the mindless impassionate pressing  of lips that Khalani and I did (which, in retrospect, is both silly and just fine), but the hormone-driven desire to have someone's lips on yours. Shannon and I were together off and on for most of middle school - most of 5th grade and then most of another grade (can't remember which), and then that was it. Not sure why, but then I wasn't introspective then, much less retrospective yet.

So there's that. First love, first kiss, twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment