Friday, December 17, 2010

Day 6: Thirty Interesting Facts About Myself

I've been looking forward to this one, which is why there are three posts today...

1. I was born with a blood blister on my head the size of a coaster, and it probably was the cause of my narrow-shaped head.
2. I did comedy, on stage, in middle school. For talent shows. I made girls pee their pants.
3. I had perfect pitch, and then I ruined it playing the drums too loud.
4. I got suspended from school in 5th grade for inciting a petition to get a sub removed from class for 'giving us the wrong assignment' in math because it was way too hard.
5. I used to steal money from my mom's purse and use it to buy people things at the a-la-carte line in order to get friends. It didn't work, but I never felt popular otherwise. Middle school was rough...
6. I have more schooling than most humans have life. I've been in college for 15 years or so, have 3 formal degrees, a master's certificate in music, and am almost to the writing phase of my Ph.D. - then I'll probably start another something.
7. I couldn't ride a bike until I was about 8 or 9 because I was scared.
8. I wouldn't catch a fly ball in little league because getting under it scared me.
9. Until I got in to high school, all that stuff that scared me got reversed and I became a daredevil.
10. I've jumped off 100 foot cliffs into Lake Powell, and 4-story buildings onto concrete. On purpose.
11. I speak Glaswegian, bad German, bad French, terrible Latin, and getting-better Swedish.
12. I've always like the character I'm not supposed to - Loki more than Thor or Odin, Hector more than Achilles, and Superman from Superman Returns more than any other version (except maybe JMS's).
13. I read comic books regularly. I collect Spider Man, Batman, and anything by Bendis, Millar, JMS, and so on.
14. I was born with blood red hair. It all fell out, I'm told, and then it came in super-blonde. My hair was platinum blonde, almost pure white, until I went to Scotland in college. It's been reddish ever since.
15. I don't have any feeling in my right index finger due to a table saw accident the summer before my freshman year.
16. I am trained in swordsmanship - at one point in the last five years I was among the top 25 rapier fighters in the world. I've been called the golden child of the weapon in the SCA, and haven't fought more than 5 times in the last year and it kills me. I used to be one of the best spear fighters in the SCA as well, but I haven't done that in much longer...
17. If I could go back and do things different, even if it meant starting over from an earlier age, I would. I have regrets and can't overcome them.
18. I don't know how to talk to women, or tell what their thinking, or if they like me. It's made for a very difficult manhood.
19. I wish I had joined the Army. I frequently fantasize about it now. When I was high school and the first Gulf War happened I was chicken and was worried. Now, I wish I would have done that rather than come to college immediately. I regret not serving my country and fellow man.
20. I tried to get on Jeopardy and Who Wants To Be a Millionaire. I never got past the first screenings, but I've always been great while playing against the show. I'm a trivia guru...
21. I envy. Too much. I wish my SES or Academic Capital or Whatever had been different so I could have been more successful.
22. Happiness comes hard to me. I have to work at accepting it and not over-thinking it or having disastrous suspicions.
23. I'm a sucker for red-heads, blondes, and girls with pale skin. And accents of a certain type.
24. Thus, girls have frequently gotten the best of me, so I have chosen to be untrusting. This leads to 22, above, and 18. I am suspicious, usually, and unbelieving when someone is being truthful.
25. I grew up in the most beautiful part of the country, on a lake, and could pilot a boat before I could ride a bike, (and waterski).
26. I studied Medieval History in Glasgow, Scotland for a year. Best academic year of my life.
27. I have applied to do a Fulbright study in Oslo, Norway, and I'm losing my mind waiting for an answer.
28. I am the king of steak. I know where to get the best quality, how to cook it, and how it is done best. Bobby Flay has nothing on me...
29. I ride a motorcycle, and have for over a decade now. I'm not on a Harley, but I'm a fan of that whole motorcycle gang subculture (although I'm probably a Rubbie)
30. I like doing dry wall - there's something about the finished project that I enjoy. I don't like most things like that, but putting it up and making it look good is awesome. Oh yeah, I'm great with my hands and as a handyman...

No comments:

Post a Comment