Friday, December 17, 2010

Day four: views on religion

A lot of people might find this surprising, but I'm a Christian. I have been my entire life. I attended church 3 times a week until I went off to college. And then I quit. By then, I'd had enough of watching men dictate what God wanted, be mean and spiteful and harmful to each other, and do so in the name of the 'church'. So, I'm not a church-going Christian. But, I believe he died for my sins, I was baptized for forgiveness, belive that his revelation (the words in red) are the key to everlasting life in heaven, and I try to live my life to the best of my ability. I don't go to church, don't wear my religion on my vest, but those that know me know that I am a faithful, devoted person, will do anything for my friends, try to help my fellow man, and wile I probably could use a cleansing of my verbage to sound better, but I'm a good person.

I also believe that men have screwed up religion. Being faithful is one thing. Being a zealot may be good, but I don't think anyone has it right. I'm not Jewish, but Christ was an all he wanted to do was reform Judaism. I'm not Muslim but the Prophet converted to monotheism and believed that Judaism and Christianity were valid paths to salvation, if only damaged by the work of men. Christians who call Jews and Muslims heretics (or vice-versa) are missing the point - you're supposed to love thy neighbor as thy self, not cast the first stone...

I don't believe in reincarnation, and while Buddhism is a great way to live a normatively good life (and I don't think it is inherently incompatible with Christianity - the four noble truths and the eightfold path aren't too different from Christian teachings), it lacks a wholesome forgiving quality that is embodied by Christ. Hinduism is archaic, and while culturally valid I don't see that it is a proscription for living a good life.

My best friend is Baha'i and while I don't agree with the concept of a late revelation as witnessed by their founder, he and his wife (and their community) are the BEST people I know. They don't hate, they don't judge, they don't harm, and they do everything they can to live the best life and are paragons of goodness. They are, unfortunately, better than any Christians I have met. So, if their faith is some backwater paganism founded in Zoroastrian theology then whatever. They love like a Christian should.

I agree with Ghandi - "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

No comments:

Post a Comment