Monday, April 20, 2015

21 - one of your favorite shows

Favorite show, right now and for a few years, has easily been The Walking Dead. It's like 45-50 minutes of sorrow and agony, during which you can't breathe, and don't trust anyone. Frankly, no one has made me or my wife feel so much during a TV show. It's not about zombies, it's about survival and humanity and coping with what is dark in all of us. There just happen to be zombies.

I recently binge-watched The Newsroom, and it was brilliant writing. Loved it, and got a little teary when it ended. I'm also liking the end of Justified.

Anyway, what I go for and what my family goes for aren't necessarily the same thing. I like comics, darkness, and so on. Vivian has this fascination with Sesame Street. Christy likes detective stories. Those rarely overlap and it's more important for me to spend time with my family than to spend time watching TV. We do, though, really like Blue Bloods, but since we cut cable we aren't up on this last season until it hits the various streaming services. We also watch Game of Thrones, but that's only once V is asleep, if it's early in the evening, and we are REALLY in the mood because that show (like The Walking Dead) is going to break you any chance it gets.

TV is fleeting. Just a few years ago I was nuts for Breaking Bad and Mad Men. Before that, I was hooked on Fringe and CSI (the original, not the travesty-spinoffs that ruin the story, or the new shark-jumping episodes after Grissom left).

No comments:

Post a Comment