Friday, April 17, 2015

20, and wagons

I'm, again, trying to get back on the wagon. I need to write more frequently, and this might be a step toward getting back in the flow. So, even though it's not intended to be consumed, nor to further my professional or academic career, it may be a start to getting the typing to happen.

#20 - How Important You Think Education Is

I have a Ph.D..

In Education.

So, there's that.

I also have a M.Ed., in K-12 Leadership, and taught high school students for 7 years. Neither of my parents went to college (although my dad did mention 'taking classes at Phoenix College, but I'm not sure that happened and I know he didn't finish any kind of program).  My sisters went to a CC but failed out after either one or two semesters. I was a crap student, but smart enough to fight through, even though it took me 7 years and 4 majors to make it. Then I didn't know what to do with my degree, and decided to become a teacher. One more year (that makes 8) and I was certified for secondary history. I taught here, then there, and got bored so my district paid for most of my MEd and then I decided to leave the field after some teaching unpleasantness.

So, now I've studied education at the K-12 level, and at the Postsecondary level. I think advanced education is the MOST important thing a person can do for oneself. However, I do NOT think that every one of us needs to have a formal 4-year college diploma. I think most jobs and most people might benefit from certification or vocational training, and the economy would actually like that as well. Further, I don't think a liberal education at a normal 4-year U.S. university is about getting a job. It's about being able to do lots of things, and shouldn't be viewed as jobs-training. Otherwise, why study Spanish or Philosophy or Anthropology. Each of those majors is nuts at critical thinking, deep reading, problem solving, and communication. But they aren't Spanishers, Philosophers, or Anthropologists. Understanding the human condition through any lens is valuable.

Also, I'm a college advisor, currently. I spend countless hours explaining to students how this process works, and helping them to make decisions on what they want to study. Not what they want to do, because that's a different beast, but what they want to study. To learn.

'Muricans are already pretty good at not wanting to learn. Everything needs to be instrumental - do this to get that. I think education fights that, and needs to continue to fight that. I want someone qualified to fix my plumbing, who is excited to do the work and enjoys that puzzle. I also want someone excited to teach my daughter. And those two people aren't likely to be the same person.

So, education yes. Very important. Just not the same education for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment